Burnley relegated from Premier League after loss against Newcastle United and Leeds victory

And so it proved in the first half as they attacked with more purpose than their relegation-haunted opponents. Their big moment came seconds after Burnley fans cheered Kieran Trippier on his return to Turf Moor. Soon the applause turned to groans as Collins’ moment of madness led to a penalty. 

It took a good two minutes for Craig Pawson to view his pitchside monitor and point to the spot. But it should have taken a couple of seconds. Replays showed Collins had instinctively punched the ball as it whizzed past him. Even before Var looked at the incident, Collins had his head in his hands and knew what was about to happen. 

Wilson stepped up and sent Nick Pope the wrong way for his first goal since returning from four months out with a calf problem. His celebrations in front of the Burnley fans angered the home end, but it was pure relief from the striker.   

The negative for Howe was Joelinton’s injury. He was carried off on a stretcher, his hands covering his face and clearly distressed, after going up for a header and landing awkwardly. His season, which saw him converted to a powerful central midfielder, was over. 

It was down to Pope to keep Burnley in the game. His best save came from Allan Saint-Maximin after he was sent through from Matt Targett’s excellent through-ball. 

Jackson went for broke by bringing on Wout Weghorst at the interval. All of his attackers were on the pitch, desperately trying to get the goal to save their season. But it left gaps for Newcastle to exploit, with the second goal coming on the hour mark. 

Saint-Maximin was the architect, seemingly heading nowhere on the left flank and producing a pass that threaded through three opponents and dissected Burnley’s defence. Wilson only had to tap home in front of goal.   

“Good luck in the Championship,” chanted the Newcastle supporters. But Burnley got back in the game through Cornet, volleying powerfully into the bottom corner after Martin Dubravka saved his initial effort.

Word got through that Brentford had equalised to raise the noise levels. In their final push, Weghorst was at full-stretch when he studded Ashley Barnes’ cross wide in front of goal. Jack Cork thought he had found the goal but Targett headed off the line. 

Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button